Friday, February 4, 2011

Other allergens

Today I wanted to talk about other allergens. 

For many people I have met over the years who are gluten free, they have additional food sensitivities.  I have some theories about why this happens:
  • There could be a genetic component to gluten sensitivity that includes sensitivities to other items
  • Cross breeding techniques could have put genes from one species into another
  • Continuous exposure to an inflammation causing irritation like gluten puts the immune system into overdrive, which causes other allergens eventually.
Whatever the cause may be, my observation is that gluten sensitivity and other food allergens often go hand in hand.  My wife is unable to eat these items in addition to no gluten:
  • Dairy in all forms
  • Egg
  • Soy
  • Alcohols, even when they come from non-gluten sources such as sugar cane
  • Fowl such as chicken and turkey
  • Pork
Since I'm going to concentrate most on baked goods and such in this blog the last two don't matter so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment