Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Keep asking for gluten free items!

I had the opportunity through my day job to spend 10 days in the United Kingdom.  During this time, I took the opportunity to visit supermarkets, to buy things for my stay there and some things to bring home.

I noticed that many products say "Suitable for Coeliacs" and "Gluten free" on them.  Further, every supermarket has a "Free From" aisle where you can purchase items that are gluten free, dairy free, egg, free, etc.  Obviously, some items are gluten free, but have eggs; some items are egg free but have dairy, etc.  You can also purchase really nice gluten free flour for a very reasonable price.

All these items ARE available in the USA.  They are unfortunately often cost prohibitive.

So let's keep asking for gluten free, dairy free, egg free items.  Use your email and your telephone and make requests for food companies. 

Now that I'm back you'll start seeing more recipes and other practical stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Something I have noticed in ingredient listings here in the US is that many brands are starting to list the type of starch used as a thickener rather than the vague "modified food starch". Makes it easier to know which products will fit into a gluten free diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I hadn't thought about that but I agree with you. I always want to know, what does "modified" mean? I mean, it's starch, yes? But...no.

    ReplyDelete