Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fruit pies

The recipe I gave for meat pies can easily be adapted to fruit pies.  I tried it this weekend, and found that it worked very well.

Here is what I did:

Take a pie dish, size of your choice.  I tend to use one of these:


These particular pie dishes go in the dishwasher easily, they last for years, and as far as I know,  are made in USA.

Grease the dish with a small amount of liquid oil.
Heat the oven to 350F.

Using fruit of your choice (I used lightly sweetened canned peaches), fill the dish not QUITE up to the top.  I had a some canned peaches in the large can (I think it is a #303 can?  In any case, it held about 20 ounces of fruit) that I drained the syrup off of and chopped up.

Add to the fruit, sugar to taste.  For already sweetened peaches, you might need no added sugar; for lightly sweetened fruit, 2-3 tablespoons of sugar, for unsweetened fruit, 1/4 to 1/3 cup or more, to taste.

Next, make the biscuit topping:
You will need the following dry ingredients.  I have measured them out by weight, but volume conversions are found elsewhere on this blog.  For this, sweeter, biscuit topping I've lowered the rice flour and cornstarch, and raised the sugar and oil quantities.

4 ounces rice flour (scant 3/4 cup)
.5 ounce cornstarch (4.5 teaspoons)
1 ounce tapioca starch (3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon gelatin (optional)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons oil
4 ounces (1/2 cup) water

Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the oil, mixing it into the dry ingredients.  Finally, add the water.  This will make a very 'soft' dough (too soft to roll out).  Using your fingers, or a spoon, place the biscuit topping on the pie top.

Set the pie plate on a cookie sheet, in a 350 F oven.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.  In the last 10 minutes, if the biscuit topping is not yet browned, you might want to raise the temperate to 375F, to get a golden brown top layer.

Remove from oven, using oven mitts, and let rest for 5 minutes.
 
This is 'rough and ready' and must be altered according to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment